2017-18 Amherst Referee Information
Thank you for your interest in becoming an ice hockey official.
Becoming an Ice Hockey Official is a TWO PART PROCESS:
Part-1 Become Certified as a NEW USA HOCKEY LEVEL-1 Official:
All officials must complete USA Hockey Officiating Membership Registration prior to completing Classroom Seminar Registration, their Open Book Exam, or Online Module Education.
NEW FOR 2017-18: USA Hockey is using new software to process classroom seminar registration, and no old USAHockey.com Profile information (username or password) has been transferred into the new system. All returning officials must create a new profile before completing seminar registration.
2017-18 REGISTRATION RULES & POLICIES
The 2017-18 registration season for the Officiating Program begins on August 1, 2017 and all incomplete registrations must be completed by 12:00am (midnight), April 30 of the following year.
USA Hockey official’s registration is valid for the entire season in any district or state in the United States.
Membership in a State or Local Officials Association is not required for USA Hockey official’s registration.
REVIEW ALL INFORMATION IN THIS LINK CAREFULLY
USA HOCKEY: 2017-18 REGISTRATION RULES & POLICIES
Part-2 Become a Member of an Ice Hockey Officials Organization:
- Registration with the USA Hockey Officiating Program DOES NOT guarantee any official any game assignments.
- Officials are responsible to obtain their own game assignments from Local Game Schedulers as designated in each District as a member of a local official’s organization.
- The ONLY way to get assigned to work an ice hockey game as an official is as a member of an ice hockey official’s organization. AYH no longer has its own official’s organization.
- To officiate any Amherst Youth Hockey games, you must become a member of the New York State Hockey Officials Association (NYSHOA)
BEFORE you register with USA Hockey and or apply to an Ice Hockey Officials Organization - please carefully review the following information.
- You must be 14 years old to referee.
- Those between 14 and 17 years of age must obtain working papers
- In most cases, you should apply for the highest level for which you are eligible. This will be indicated on your registration form.
- If you are a brand new official – you must apply for Level-1
- You will need to pay your registration fee by credit/debit card.
- If you do not attend and successfully complete all the required USA Hockey Sessions, you will not be certified as an official and you will not be cleared to work.
In Order to Work Games
- You must apply to and join a referee group or association in order to be assigned games to work.
- The group or association has the right to accept or reject your application.
- If accepted, there is no guarantee on the number of games you will be assigned to work. Your age, experience, availability, and the number of officials in the group all have an effect on that number of games you will work.
- The number of new officials accepted in an officiating organization is largely dependent on the number of returning officials, the needs of the association, and on the age of any applicant.
Amherst Youth Hockey
Amherst Youth Hockey no longer has its own Officials Organization. AYH has merged its officiating group with the New York State Hockey Officials Association (NYSHOA). You must be a member of NYSHOA to officiate AYH House League Hockey.
NYSHOA uses the core group of Amherst Officials to referee the AHY House League program. In the event Amherst Officials are not available for House league games – NYSHOA will only then turn to the general membership to supplement the core group of officials.
Perspective for New Officials
As part of the Amherst Youth Hockey (AYH) relationship with NYSHOA – AYH will recommend new Amherst Officials to NYSHOA for membership. These new officials will be accepted into NYSHOA at the negotiated / reduced membership fee for their first year.
If you are interested in becoming a new official and refereeing Amherst Youth Hockey (House League) as part of the New York State Ice Hockey Officials Organization (NYSHOA) you must meet the following criteria:
1) You must be an Amherst Resident
2) Affiliation with Amherst Youth Hockey as either a player, coach, or other participation is desired
3) You must be at least 14 years old
4) Those between the ages of 14 and 17 years of age must obtain working
5) Exceptions to these criteria will be considered on a case by case basis
6) Complete the statement of interest form
If you feel you meet this criterion – please complete the above statement of interest form and submit it to Glen Aichinger at
Submitting a form does not guarantee a spot or recommendation to NYSHOA. You will be notified by e-mail if you will be recommended for membership into the organization or not.
The deadline for submitting your statement of interest form to AYH is September 27, 2017.
Forms submitted after the deadline may not be considered.
You are also able to apply to NYSHOA directly without going through Amherst Youth Hockey. NYSHOA welcomes new officials into their organization each year through their application process. NYSHOA’s deadline for new member applications is October 1.
Helpful Links for:
• Signing up for classroom and ice sessions
• Applying to NYSHOA
If you have any questions about NYSHOA or the membership process – please contact me at